1.11.09

Thelma and Louise, with a happier ending

I'm not a spontaneous person. I like to make lists (duh), plans, and know in advance where I'm going, when I'll arrive and what I'll do once I'm 'there'. That's why I love my girlfriends. Doesn't (or shouldn't) everyone have one of 'those' friends that can 'make' you do just about anything, or push your limits just a little bit.

My friend 'Thelma' (names changed to protect the innocent, plus she's taller -especially in her YSL shoes and I (henceforth known as Louise) challenged me to a 'road trip'. I had finally gotten my passport, didn't work Fridays, and had no excuses. So what would we do? Initially we would drive, meaning SHE would drive, and I would simply follow the written instructions (I am directionally challenged as the nice guy at the gas station will attest to)to a place called MacKenzie Childs located in Aurora, New York (approx. a 4 hour 'jaunt'), take the tour, watch the 'how's it made' video, and then take it from there. I let myself be putty in her hands and didn't balk.

Thankfully, unlike the movie Thelma and Louise, which I have never seen, by the way, we did not drive off a cliff. We did meet up with Brad Pitt (just testing to see if you're paying attention).

It rained, it poured, I didn't snore (in fact, I didn't sleep that night - though that was my fault - the train outside the room didn't help, nor did the unclosed drapes which I couldn't figure out how to close, unfamiliar yet comfortable bed, etc. etc.).

We went shopping, visited many a bookstore (did you KNOW that Barnes and Noble has a huge selection of USED books for sale at 50% off?), had our hair 'done', wined and dined ourselves, and laughed and shared and listened to some good music and learnt a lot about each other (all good!).

Can't wait for the next time, as long as she arranges it!

No comments:

Followers