28.10.09

Somewhere Over the Rainbow, does it really matter?

How important is it to you what other people think of the things you like? I'll rephrase that.
Does it matter if you are the only one who likes: green popsicles and jelly beans, Four Seasons Kernels popcorn (since discontinued, but possibly staging a comeback) and Judy Garland. Yes, I like all of the above, though I find myself reluctant to share that information. Why?

Ever invent a new phrase or word that just totally embodies how you feel about something? I do it all the time. One of my more frequent expressions is, "Please don't JudyGarland it for me!" What does that mean exactly?

Being the young, impressionable (and newly in love) girl, that I was when I started dating Howie, I quickly adapted to all things important to him. I scoured garage sales in search of old records (and copies of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn), climbed stairs without looking back (because of my fear of heights)in order to get to our seats at a baseball game (getting back down was slightly more difficult, I had to be carried - I kid you not), and spent countless hours in audiophile soundrooms listening to John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat. I humored him. So did he return the favor?

It was my turn now to share my favorites with him. He accepted Springsteen easily enough, balked slightly at Blue Rodeo, abhorred a black leather fringed cowboy leather jacket (that went the wayside) and then the moment came. I had been a fan of Judy Garland since The Wizard of Oz. I read all the books I could, envisioned myself as another daughter (and best friends to Liza and Lorna and Joey too!). I had seen all her television appearances and movies and owned Live at Carnegie Hall, a TWO record set, featuring my favorite, The Man Who Got Away.

I sat him down and put the record on (this was obviously in the days before iTunes, et al.) and watched his face. He didn't hold back. He scowled and winced and finally announced that she couldn't sing, period. I was mortified. I begged him to elaborate and he did. Sadly, from that moment on, the wind was let out of my sails. What he heard (and described), I heard. I stopped listening. He had ruined it for me.

Years later we differed over something else and I immediately fired back with, "You might not like it, but don't you dare JudyGarland it for me!" It's a phrase, but not a phase, that has stuck.

So now I don't always share that I like to watch Intervention, or eat ice cream straight out of the container (even though I'm lactose intolerant) or listen to E Street Radio (all Bruce, all the time), because I don't (and won't) want it to be JudyGarlanded, though I have since gone back to being a fan!

4 comments:

Mary Giardina said...

Oh Kare!!!!!!!!!!
I have so enjoyed reading your Blog!!!!!!!!
I'm very new to Blogging and reading Blogs so I'm greatful to be taking my baby steps into this virgin territory with you!!!!

From your Beginning, to more Beginnings, to being JudyGarland-ed, I found myself immersed in your life (as I have always enjoyed being a part of your world). Your 16 and skinny post is priceless to me, because I thought I was the only person who sees herself as younger and skinnier than what she truly is...but alas, I'm so happily wrong! As I read that post, I thought, "YES!!!! She get's this!!!! Although I don't endorse this self-view, because it really has allowed me to become fatter than I should be, I can say that this customized mirror of mine has kept me from obsessing about image and I really have enjoyed my life. Good luck on the diet and healthy lifestyle choices, even though I may still choose to see you as 16 and skinny for the rest of your life and mine!!! lol

So girlfriend, blog and write away. I can't believe you see yourself as a Reader, but not quite a Writer. My lovely lady, you are both. I suspect writing for you is like your "other hand" and let's face it, we really need 2 hands! I can't remember if you are right-handed or not, but if you are, then surely writing must be your creative and bold left hand!

I can't wait for more, my 2-handed friend.

Lots of Love,

Mare

S. said...

I love Judy Garland too! She was my first "favorite singer". I listened to Somewhere Over The Rainbow over and over again. I can't imagine what Howie found fault with in her singing -- she is so amazing. But don't tell me because I don't want to be "JudyGarlanded" either!

Unknown said...

kinda reminds me of when Dashiell/DASh was born how we didn't tell ANYONE the name until the bris which is what you are supposed to do anyway. then they can't ruin it for you judygarland it cuz it's too late!

SOX said...

Mare - your kindness is very much appreciated. I like your 'customized mirror' reference. Isn't it really most important that WE see us as WE do, anyway? And, I am left-handed!
S - I won't say a word.
Gogo - I am learning that we can only allow ourselves to be 'JudyGarlanded'. Naming a child is such a personal choice and one that belongs to you and your spouse, alone. Those that can't appreciate that, are not as unique and/or special as you!

Followers