2.11.09

A Book by any other name

So after returning home from an adventurous 'road trip', what's one of the first things I look forward to doing? Getting away again - by getting lost in a book. It's truly the quickest, most inexpensive way to 'travel' and escape.

I live in the 'now' and have the 'future' to look forward to, so most of the time I choose to travel back. Back in history, into the courts of King Henry VIII (and I've learnt it's much easier on the neck to be a 'lady in waiting', than a wife or mistress), or perhaps a 'Little House on the Prairie' type setting (working the land and all that stuff), or 'turn of the century' Victorian London, awash with prostitutes,thieves and surgeons. Even though it's 'old', it's aways new to me. Simpler times perhaps, that survived without the internet, fast food and air conditioning.

Escaping into the page, I fancy myself dining on delicacies such as roast goose and partridge, dressed in layers of petticoats, bustles and hoods, and churning butter and stitching feather beds.

My earliest favorites were Heidi (how I wanted to climb that mountain and drink goat's milk!), the Little House on the Prairie books (how important it was to use all parts of the slaughtered pig and to make maple 'candy' in the snow, and don't even get me started about Pa!), Little Women (Marmee and her girls, and acting out Pilgrim's Progress), and of course, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.

Francie Nolan and her brother Neely (Cornelius)manage to survive in pre WW1 Brooklyn with their parents, Katie, who scrubs floors with lye soap and favors Neely, and Johnny, the singing waiter, alcoholic father.

I have reread this story so many times, the experiences that Francie and Neely endure, feel as if they were my own. Making a pickle last all day, the star bank, 'wasting' coffee (everyone needs a luxury and something to throw away) penny candy, visiting the library and asking the 'library lady' to 'recommend a book for a girl, she is 12', first vaccinations on a dirty arm (my brother's arm is just as dirty as mine, Francie sobbed)and school! The love of learning that is instilled in Francie from her parents, and the anguish she feels when her mother chooses Neely to continue his education and pulls Francie out. Neely begs to leave school and work, and Francie wants to stay in school, so Katie states: "That's why he has to stay and you have to leave, because you will do everything in your power to find your way back".

Francie said and felt it best. Once she learned how to read, she knew:

From that time on, the world was hers for the reading. She would never be lonely again, never miss the lack intimate friends. Books became her friends and there was one for every mood."

I'm glad that today I have more friends than I did when I first became a reader, and also glad that I have more books always waiting (patiently) for me to escape into.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

susanw said...

Karen, I've book marked your blog and will be following. The MacKenzie Childs shop looks very dear.

On to my real comment. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, sadly I have not read this classic. I own it and it has been staring at me from my bookshelf for too long. I promise to move it way up on my tbr pile. My question is this, will I appreciate/enjoy it now rather that having read it as a teen and a reread now?

Also my avid reading 13 yo daughter, is she too young? I hate pushing a classic on her if she is not ready? She is major into YA, Pretties, Hunger Games (her newest The Maze Runner - which she has made me promise I will read, it's that good, she claims) Will ATGiB be too slow for her? Sorry for all the questions, (and the extremely long comment) I have heard such praises for this book but they all seem to be from people who read it as a teen?

btw, I'm reading Jenna Blum's Those who Save Us, so far very good.

SOX said...

Susan - NEVER too late to read 'Tree'.
I know many adult readers who have read and loved it, and have not felt it 'out-dated'. I was 14 when I first read 'Tree' and LOVED it. Your daughter will too. There is nothing overly suggestive in the novel, save for a fleeting 'exposure' by a pedophile that isn't graphic, and how it is dealt with is in keeping with the times and the character.
I would actually suggest you and your daughter read it in tandem and discuss together. The mother/daughter relationship, as well as the other women relationships are very discuss-worthy.
Please let me know your thoughts if/when you both read it. I would be happy to meet both of you for lunch/coffee/whatever and discuss it too!!!!
Jenna Blum's Those That Save Us is very good.
I'm going to check out The Maze Runner as I've been on a YA kick lately too.
Be well - and thanks for commenting! :-D

Followers