3.11.09

Knee High in Trouser Socks

Remember pantyhose? They basically came in one color - nude (and black and 'almost or barely' black). We wore them with dresses and gowns and all things that exposed the leg. 'Dress pants' required something different - knee highs! Those stretchy (and again, nude colored) nylons that were only 'knee high' (mind you, mine seemed to stop halfway, or bag around my ankles)and came in either sandalfoot (for, duh, sandals) or regular (with that stretchy heavier band across the toes).

So what ARE trouser socks? According to www.wisegeek.com, my new favorite 'how to find out about things' site,

Trouser socks are socks made for women that generally reach to the upper calf or just below the knee depending upon one’s height. They are often constructed of light materials like nylon so they can be easily worn with more narrow shoes like pumps. They tend to replace the now less popular nylon knee-highs that were worn in the past


So there you have it. You would think that trouser socks would make life easier, but for me, the confusion continues.

I wear and own a lot of flats because:

a) I don't walk well in barefeet, let alone shoes with heels
b) my first husband told me I looked like a hooker when I wore heels and it kind of stuck with me
c) my husband is a Canadian Jewish guy, which translates into: he's not 6 feet tall

If it wasn't difficult enough picking out something to wear for work everyday that looks good (I'm still losing the war on this one), keeps me cool (I wear a lot of 'light' tops or tee shirts with pseudo cardigans and 'shrugs') and is comfortable enough to sit in all day, now I have to match my trouser socks to my shoes/pants/tops - what?

I have black flats that I wear when I wear grey and or black pants. If I am wearing all black or grey, does this mean I can 'have fun' with my trouser socks and go for the pattern, or should I be wearing 'nude' or 'almost black'? And what do I wear when I wear my two tone patent brown and gold flats? Nude? How 'bout my silver and black ballet slippers? Gold and black Tory Burch copies?

I keep buying trouser socks in every color, pattern and material, and every day I end up wearing the wrong 'shade' of nude knee high.

Me thinks I should switch to boots. I hear they are made for walkin'. So that's just what I'll do!

2 comments:

S. said...

Kudos to you for even wearing trouser socks. On me they somehow manage to both cut off circulation in my calves AND fall down around my ankles.

My advice would be to wear the creative, patterned socks. If you are feeling brave, then put a different one on each leg!!

Do you ever watch the TV show Bones? David Boreanaz plays an FBI agent and is always wearing funky socks with his standard black suit white shirt "uniform" and it is a constant topic of discussion on the show. It's surprising how such a little thing as socks can go so far towards creating a full-blown, beloved character instead of a cookie cutter one.

SOX said...

I do INDEED watch 'Bones' and have been following David Boreanaz since his 'Angel' days. Here's a little trivia for you - for those of you that grew up in the late 60's glued to morning television (and the pickings were slim!), if you watched Rocketship 7 with Dave Thomas, you might be surprised to learn that Thomas is the father of Boreanaz.
Anyway, back to socks - I've amassed a huge collection, and struggle daily deciding just what works, and end up wearing the same ugly knee highs. I'll get there.

Followers