16.11.09

To Have and Have Not!

My name is Karen and I am a biblioholic.

According to Biblioholism, the Literary Addiction by Tom Raabe, the definition is:

Book, of books; the habitual longing to purchase, read, store, admire and consume books in excess.


Guilty as charged.

I own hundreds (if not more) of unread books, that at one time or another, I ‘had’ to have, and no amount of library reserves, garage sale finds or recent purchases could quench my desire to ‘have it and have it now’.

I’ve maxed out my ’50 book limit’ on my library’s website, and have a ready list of ‘next in lines’ waiting patiently (actually, impatiently) their turn to be added on. Most of the books I bring home from the library return unread, sometimes to be reserved again, usually not. It’s ALMOST as good as reading the book, just knowing that I have ‘had’ it, held it, and debated about reading it.

I go in spurts where I must read everything I can on Henry VIII and I stalk the discount shelves at my local bookstore as well as peruse the shelves at any and all used bookstores. Then there is my recent YA (young adult) addiction, probably starting with the Twilight series (devoured all 4 books) and moving onto Inkheart (I own the next two in the series but have yet to read them, but at least I ‘have’ them),and The Pretties series (almost finished with the final one, that I ‘have’ and is waiting it’s turn to be read). I had heard about The Hunger Games this past summer and knew I had to have it and read it, and then fumed impatiently for September 1st to roll around when the 2nd in the series, Catching Fire was released. I ran to the bookstore THAT DAY and bought it. Brought it home, held it, read the inside flap, the first page, and then put it away for a few weeks.

One of my biggest fears is that I’ll have nothing to read, and so I have a ‘car’ book (usually a short story collection, self help/spiritual, or memoir), up and downstairs books, bathroom books and of course, the ‘saved’ BFBs (big fat books) or desert island books. I have had some of these for years. They are special books. I’m ‘saving’ them for just the ‘right time’. Every now and then I dip in and ‘taste’ one, and decide that ‘now’ is not the right time to invest my time.

Some of the ‘must own’ and ‘scoured the city’ for BFBs that I own (and probably will never read, though every year I ‘vow’ and make ‘reading lists/goals’ and include them, are:

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset, a massive tome, at over 1000 pages. The author won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1928 and some consider one of the best books ever written.

Yeah, I’ve owned it for about 5 years now.

The Far Pavillions by M.M. Kaye, just under 1000 pages. I adore Indian themed novels, and this is supposedly one of the ‘good ones’ as well.

Owned for at least 5 years too.

I’m also one of ‘those people’ that you either abhor or love, that will approach you (you, being a complete stranger) in a bookstore, peer over your shoulder at the (hopefully) stack of books in your hands, and comment. I’ve been known to ‘walk the shelves’ with many a stranger and friend, recommending and insisting ‘you must read this!’.

I love being asked to recommend something, though I need specifics. I mean, you don’t expect a dietician to tell you what to eat just because you say you’re hungry.

What are you in the mood for? Sweet? Spicy?

I might not have the same tastes as you, but I love a challenge.

Tell me your 5 favorite reads of all time (oh just do it!) and/or the last few amazing books you read, and what’s important to YOU as a reader, (not everyone likes/needs a happy ending, poetic writing, or likeable characters).


By the way, some of the signs that YOU TOO are a biblioholic:

1. you own more than one copy of the same book (NOT on purpose)
2. there are books in every room of your home (or at least the rooms that YOU occupy)
3. your idea of an exciting event is an author reading AND signing
4. you’re wondering if Biblioholism, the Literary Addiction really is a book and if so, how quickly can you get your hands on it! (hint: click on the link!


My name is Karen, and I’m a biblioholic and I’m okay with that.

4 comments:

susanw said...

Guilty as charged. I have more unread than read around my house. It's nice to hear that there are other like you. I have participated in a few on line group read to get me reading some of my bfb's. Started Middlemarch (still haven't finished. They read Kristen Lavranstadder, I don't have it but it has been added to my tbr list. And I joined then in Anna Karenina (bout 100 page left). Far Pavillions is great. I read that a long time ago but have very fond memories and have recommended it in the past.

My daughter liked the idea of reading ATGiB together. I'll let you know when we get around to actually reading it.

Jackie said...

Narrowing down my favourite reads to 5 books is a challenge but I think 'A Prayer for Owen Meany', 'A Fine Balance', 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles', 'David Copperfield', and 'Christy' will be among the top works of Fiction. - I have another list for my favourite non-fiction. I almost picked up another copy of 'Owen Meany' today. I often buy copies of my favourite books just to give away and share the joy of the experience with others.
I already bought John Irving's new book 'Last night in Twisted River' and I hope it won't be too long before I get to it. Like you I have bookshelves full of books I have never read but hope to get to 'some day'.
Jackie

Shelley Westenbroek said...

You already know that I am a biblioholic too.
I have The Far Pavillions on my shelf too! I had forgotten about it until you reminded me. Other BFBs that I bought because I read/heard that they were "must-reads" and are still sitting on my shelf unread are: "The Golden Notebook" by Doris Lessing, "Anna Karenina" and "War and Peace" by Tolstoy, "Mason & Dixon" by Thomas Pynchon, "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt, "Drood" by Dan Simmons, and "Until I Find You" by John Irving.

As to the YA books, I just read an article about the interest in YA books by adult readers. There is such a growing readership among adults that they are classifying a new genre called "NA" for "New Adult" fiction.

SOX said...

shell - i am going to read DROOD sooner than later - it's been 'calling' out to me.

susan - please DO let me know when you and your daughter read 'tree'!

jackie - a fine balance was a special book, wasn't it? i have yet to read copperfield, and want to hear what you think of the new irving - i've heard great things!

Followers