25.10.09

One Day at a Time

I'm going on a diet (again)! This morning I watched Valerie Bertinelli on CBS Sunday Morning and got inspired(again). I love Valerie. I've read her book and grew up watching her as Barbara Cooper on One Day at A Time. I really don't want to diet (or exercise) but I do want to be healthy. I was skinny as a kid, even had the nickname 'toothpick', could and did eat whatever I wanted and then suddenly I couldn't. Well, couldn't without it 'sticking'. I decided to become zafig( zaf·tig or zof·tig (zäftk, -tg)
adj.
1. Full-bosomed.
2. Having a full, shapely figure.

Now understand that my hubby never did (and never has - he's much too smart to do so) complain, though one of my first 'aha moments' came years ago when my daughters were flipping through our photo albums (if you've been to my house for dinner, you've flipped through them too - it's what we do) and came across a picture of me in a Norma Kamali bathing suit (I'd post the picture here, but I think I'll save it for the 'before and after' shots, after I lose the weight)and said, "Wow, is that you? You USED to be soooooo hot!"

You know how they say a fat person always feels fat, even when they lose the weight? Well, I always feel thin (and 16 years old!). I'm shocked when I see pictures or look in the mirror (by mistake)or try and squeeze into a pair of favorite old jeans that I 'find' in my closet that somehow "must" have shrunk. Who IS that chubby woman and why is her hair such a mess (hair issues to be addressed in another blogpost).

Anyway, it's time to make a change (maybe). Over a delicious breakfast of hashed brown potatoes, topped with bacon and 2 over easy eggs (but NO bread!), hubby and I made a plan. We'll eventually convert our extra bedroom into a 'work out room' and even hire a personal trainer to work us both into an exercising frenzy once a week or so. Ok, so that probably won't happen til the new year, I mean, it's almost November and then December we go to Florida for a few weeks, etc., but seriously, I am going to change my diet slightly. No more noshing after dinner, just tea and fat free popsicles. I'll pack a lunch for work (stocked up today on veggies and fat free turkey, etc.) and maybe start to walk around the block once or twice (or thrice) a week. Enough putting it off.

If Valerie can do it, so can I. One Day at a Time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, and it's funny everytime I see that commercial with Valerie Bertinelli I get more inspired. I only gained weight after my fall in May when I was laid up in bed and couldn't do any exercise up till about a month ago, and of course, what did I do when I lay in bed - EAT!!! I gained about 20 pounds since then, before that I was a Size 2 and 4, I can't stand it anymore. However, I'm limited to exercise because my leg is still not healed, but I am going to start going up and down the stairs in my condo as far as I can, I live on the 31st floor. Hope I can do it. Then being sick for 2 weeks with a respiratory tract infection also didn't help. My sister has a personal trainer for pilates 3 times a week and would adjust the times for me but my leg isn't ready yet. I can't stand this extra weight! Wishing you lots of luck, keep us posted.

S. said...

Sounds like you have a good plan! Personal trainers are great if you can have one because they MAKE you do it, and you don't have feel guilty all the time for not working out because you have someone else who is responsible for it.

If you exercise on your own I recommend that you pick a type of exercise that you like/tolerate. Don't try to force yourself to do a type of exercise that you abhor.

That said, I think you are ALREADY more gorgeous than Valerie Bertinelli, and you are not even CLOSE to having the word "fat" apply to you in any way!

sokysgirl said...

Great advice about picking an exercise I like, though I'm not sure 'typing' would classify.

N.V said...

welcome, Sox. I've been on an elimination detox since July 28 and it's gotten really easy to maintain, but my body just loves the chunk and I've lost only half of what my naturopath expected. But I've gained muscle, increased my endurance through running and circuit training, and feel amazing.

I too used to be stick-thin. But eating habits I picked up during university ruined me. I gained weight and have been struggling to get it off since.

Anonymous said...

NV is me, Dena.

S. said...

Hey, even chewing gum is technically exercising.

SOX said...

NV is something i certainly do, in regards to you, Deens - ENVY!!!!! you're smart, beautiful, WELL READ, a foodie, and the owner of a fluffernutter!!!!

Followers